Logo

1993 Evinrude 225hp Ocean Pro Bogging Down

smitair17

Contributing Member
This is bothering me to death! My problem is bogging down during acceleration. The motor will start and idle like a champ. Has new plugs, new fuel filters and thats it for now.

If i hammer it at idle, it just doesn't sound right, and when I let off, it will stall. It will start right back up no problem. It just doesn't sound right though. Instead of having that attitude sound, it sounds muffled. The mechanic said it wasn't getting spark in one cyllinder, but when I remove the boot, it dies a bit, and picks up when the boot is placed back on. However, there is a cylinder that does fail the drop test. When I remove the spark plug boot, it doesn't hesitate at all, and doesn't pick up when I put it back on. However, I get shocked when the boot is off and I'm holding it.

Any help is appreciated......I'm baffled!

Re: 93 Evinrude 225 Ocean Pro Bogging Down

Do a spark test, you need a bright blue spark on all sp wires, if you have this then you have a bad spark plug on the one doesn't hesitate at all, and doesn't pick up when you put it back on.

also might not be the spark you might want to do a compression test on the engine it might be something wrong with that cylinder

A comp test was done, all cylinders are good. I think I am going to do a spark test tomorrow

Did you replace the spark plug on the cylinder that failed the drop test? First thing I would try.

If that engine has carburetors, with proper compression and spark, The carburetor(s) are fouled resulting in a lack of fuel.

Would that make it sound muffled? It starts fine, idles fine, and doesn't sound like its misfiring, just sounds muffled. Is it easy to rebuild these carbs? I wanna light a match - toss it in the tank and have an early 4th of July party!

The carb rebuild is easy, You need to get a manual for the motor and It will walk you through the rebuild. remember you can always take pictures on each step during the disassembley of the carbs so you have a record to rebuild the carbs in the revs order. or always keep one carb whole so you can see where you messed up.

you need to rebuild your carbs and use Stabil, StarTron of Ethanol Medic when you fill up. Your problem is most likely from ethanol and gummed up carbs.

Joe was on the right track the first time I posed this. Timer base was was bad and the Shift Switch? was bad. Had to have mechanic run diagnostics to find it. Back on water, and happy again. It was firing in all cylinders in idle, but when the throttle advanced, it wasn't. Mechanic said it was only firing on three cylinders while under load. I guess this switch had something to do with turning off the firing in these three cylinders. Wish I knew the details. I don't even know what these things do. Timer base ......Shift switch.

Back