Logo

1993 evinrude 150hp not charging my battery

rickyblanc

I have this 1993 evinrude 150hp motor (vj150exetr) that will not charge the battery,don't know if its the rectifier/regulator or the stator. I tested the battery with the motor off and it reads 11.9 volts then i started the motor and get the same reading. the tachometer work but only when i connect the vro pump wire,had it off because i am pre mixing my fuel. I really need some help in finding a simply way to test the stator and rectifier to make sure witch part to buy. thanks

With that "vro pump wire" connected and engine not running, note the voltage reading on your dash battery voltage gauge OR if no gauge is present, connect a volt meter across the battery terminals and jot down the reading. Now start the engine and obtain a fast idle. If the voltage reading increases somewhat, the charging system is functioning.

The tachometer operates off of the charging system, meaning that if the tachometer functions, the charging system is also functioning.

However.....
The fact that the tachometer only operates when you "connect the vro pump wire" would indicate that you have something wired incorrectly as the VRO has nothing to do with the tachometer or charging circuit.

Exactly what "vro pump wire" are you speaking of?

My vro fuel pump has four wire connected to it, the gray wire that comes out from the rectifier goes straight to the tech also goes to the vro pump.

Back