Logo

1993 ChrisCraft 210 OMC 5.8 MFI Hard Start Runs Rich

DaleSmith

Reposting an old thread from ChrisCrafter as I am having the same issue.
Hello all!
Firs time posting here.
I have a 1994 Chris Craft 322 Crowne Cruiser with the twin 5.8 cobras with electronic Fuel Injection
So, out of no where my Starboard side motor will NOT start at idle speed as normal only Starboard side.
If I pump the throttle and then give it full throttle it starts and I back it down to 2000rpms until warm 2 min then back the throttle down to normal idle speed I pulsates up and down in RPM's.
Here is what we have done thus far.
1) changed plugs (were black running rich)
2) Brought a clean fresh 10gallons of fuel thinking I may have bad gas...not the case still acted the same.
3)changed the fuel/water separator filter...no luck
4)ran compression test on the cylinder's we could get to...all were at 135PSI
5) checked fuel pressure at fuel pump 35PSI good enough for injection motors

It seems to be getting a reading to dump fuel when it doesn't need too. you can see and smell the fuel when running.
this problem came without warning,

unfortunately there is no one in my area who has access to any diagnostic equipment (software) since these motors are rare.
its a small block Ford 351 with Volvo Penta Duo Prop lower units.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil So I have checked fuel pressure, changed fuel filter, Coolant temp sensor, spark plugs, checked float at reservoir, no fuel in vacuum line at fuel regulator, as with original post, seems to be getting signal to dump fuel thru injectors {ALL}. Any help appreciated, trying to salvage the last weeks of good weather. Have an appointment for boat shop in September, but date has slipped due to high demand.

your favorite search engine can help fulfil your need...I'd suggest making sure that the shop understands its off of a 5.8L before sending out anything...no where near as common as the Delphi MEFI-x controllers...

Ok, so took to local shop, checked all sensors and diagnosed as bad computer. Finding no matches online, buttoned it up and sent it home with me to keep looking for a replacement or send it in to be repaired. After watching many online repair videos on Ford EEC-IV units. I removed it and started checking for bad capacitors. They were still in good shape, but the pin 46 ground circuit was broken. Having done some board repair on some home computers I repaired the broken trace. Long story short it fixed my problem. Started right up and ran just like nothing ever happened. Hope others with this problem see this and have a successful outcome.

Back