Logo

1993 c115 tlrr tilt and trim proplems

snookhead20

I am at a stand still. my tilt will only go up, not down. When I push the down button all a get is click. I checked the voltage at the down relay, one w/ green wire, and it was 12.17. I reversed the wires to the relays, and when I pushed the up button it went down and click for the down button. Both relays show 12.17 volts at the stud on the relays. So I believe it's not the motor, its either the ground or the down relay, but what is baffling me, is the power it shows at the down relay. Again, I'm at a stand still. Thanks for any help.

Your up relay is probably not earthing(or it's F*%ked). put a voltmeter with one probe on the blue post (load side) and the other to the engine block, there should be little/no voltage difference when pressing the down button (make sure all wires are connected when doing this). For the tilt motor to go up and down the polarity is reversed, thus requiring two relay's, both of which are grounded when switched off. When the down switch is pressed the down relay switches from "grounded" to positive and the "up" relay stays off allowing the tilt motor to earth through the "up" relay.
When you got 12.17v was that on the output side of the down relay or from the switch?
also make sure that only the down relay is switching on. Some times there can be a short in the trim switch which allows 12v down both the blue and green wire thus activating both relays (pretty far fetched)

Last edited:
Back