Logo

1993 88hp evinrude carb problem

cat-daddy

i have a 1993 88hp evinrude, when i idel for more than 3-4 minutes my carbs start loading up, to the point if you dont give it some throttle it will die, just had the carbs built about 7 months ago, ran fine then, any ideas where i should start looking, runs perfect on a wot just not ideling to well,any help is grateful

Re: 88 evinrude carb problem

Make sure the fuel tank is getting properly vented, could be float level was set a tad too high and as the soft tip needle valves have settled in it could have raised the levels slightly. Maybe a problem with choke/primer/enrichers too. VRO?

You say the carbs start loading up which means that the carburetors are flooding. Is this a visual sighting or a guess as to what's happening?

you say the carbs start loading up which means that the carburetors are flooding. Is this a visual sighting or a guess as to what's happening?
you can smell the odor of gas very strong, go to wot and the smell leaves until it starts againg,

Remove the carburetor face plate, then pump the fuel primer bulb up hard while observing the carburetors. If they're loading (flooding) up, you'll see fuel flowing from the carburetor(s).

If no fuel flows from the carburetors, consider them okay as far as flooding goes. It's possible that the fuel pump diaphragm is faulty..... if a three hose pump, check the crankcase pressure hose from the pump for fuel leakage..... if a two hose pump, check for fuel leakage from the crankcase pressure hole in the back of the pump.

If the engine is loading up at idle, the recirculation check valves or hoses may be plugged. The valves are under the carbs and have small hoses leading to the bypass covers or center main bearing.

the recirc system,is very often overlooked,...and thats good info,.....a clue,that the sys needs attn,is when u trim up slightly,it smooths out,and runs better/less smoke....however,..most good running outboards,run leaner the higher u trim,making them spd up and smooth out.(idle speeds)u can pull one and see what it looks like...if bad,repl is better than messing w/them..when i repl mine,they were about 12.00 a piece......on a v6 200...they r like a pcv valve on a car.

ok thanks for the info, think i will just replace them anyway, 2 carb jobs no change, cant hurt doing it, thanks:D

Back