Logo

1993 70 HP evinrude starting issue

Jaylark

Hi I have a Maxum boat with a 1993 Evinrude 70 HP I follow all the correct procedures for starting the motor and it will start first thing in the morning (lots of smoke) but it starts, usually within 10 or so revolutions like a temperamental child, however It will NOT start at all in the afternoon! Could the daytime temperature have anything to do with this? Thanks for any ideas John

Questions for you.--Have you replace water pump impeller ?-------Is the battery fully charged and load tested.----Have you taken the starter apart for inspection ?-----Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?----Are you raising the fast idle lever while starting this motor?----And does the tell tale hose come off the side of the engine block or off the top?----Post the compression test values here.

Hi Thanks for getting back.. Battery fully charged (brand new) I wouldn’t know where to begin disassembling the starter L Squeezing the ball 1 or 2 times. ( will I flood if squeezing too many times?) I am pushing the key in to start and lifting the fast idle lever ½ inch or so The tell tale hose is on the left side of the motor looking aft I don’t have a compression tester. As I mentioned, not sure why it readily starts first thing in the am (7:00) but won’t start in the late afternoon (4PM) Thanks John

Why are you lifting the fast idle lever 1/2". Take the hood off the motor and look at the linkages as you raise the fast idle lever. the linkages should move at least a 1/2"

There was a service bulletin in 1994 to move tell tale fitting to the top of the block.------Factory water pump kit 432955 has instructions and needed parts for the cooling system.

Back