Logo

1993 48 SPL Clutch Dog

No Clew

I am planning on replacing the clutch dog. Engine runs good reverse good, but forward shudders like it hit something. Propeller bushing good. Definitely at least the clutch dog hopefully not the forward gear also.
I plan to remove retaining screws pull out the entire guts replace the clutch dog, pin and retaining spring also the shift spring. Anything I need to be aware of because this seems pretty simple. Usually simple for me means I missed something!

I intend to check the gears thoroughly. If they look iffy. I will replace them also. Just hoping to get by easy. Main thing I am asking right now is when pulling the guts out what to look out for to prevent tearing something else up.

I admit to lack of experience on the specific motor, but I don't think the prop shaft & dog can be withdrawn without disassembly of the shifting parts also. Which means you have to remove the gearcase from the motor. Which means you have gone almost all the way anyway.

If you replace the gear set it will require a trip to a shop to shim the pinion.------Did you check shiftrod height / adjustments ??

Back