Logo

1992 Johnson outboard not getting fuel.

Levi B.

I have a 1990 Johnson 140 vro outboard that has been siting for 2 years. It was properly stored. Im having a hard time getting it running.
I replaced the following
- fuel pump
- compression is 125 psi
- new gas
- check all fuel lines no blockage
- cleaned out all carbs. They were very clean but I did it anyway
- new primer bulb
- Checked all vacuum hoses
- spark is great cleaned all grounds.
I had it running one day for a good amount of time then I’m not sure what happened. Not sure if I should try a regular fuel pump and delete the vro pump?
Help would be very appreciated thank you!

Did you try pumping the primer bulb to keep fuel flow? VRO can flood with oil. Try removing the reservoir cap, it could be building too much pressure. Was it stored with 10% ethanol fuel? Do you get oil out of carbs when you remove the plug at front of float bowl? VROs are sensitive to ethanol. Even the replacements, although improved, only "resist" ethanol.

Did you try pumping the primer bulb to keep fuel flow? VRO can flood with oil. Try removing the reservoir cap, it could be building too much pressure. Was it stored with 10% ethanol fuel? Do you get oil out of carbs when you remove the plug at front of float bowl? VROs are sensitive to ethanol. Even the replacements, although improved, only "resist" ethanol.
It’s not taking any fuel. It fills the bowls then doesn’t exit the bowls to the intake. I also have the fuel line disconnected from the boat gas tank and moved a smaller tank with fresh fuel.

If there is no crankcase compression the fuel pump will not work.----Have your assistant operate the manual pump to see if fuel comes out of carburetor bowl drain.----Try and start the motor with your assistant operating the manual pump.

If there is no crankcase compression the fuel pump will not work.----Have your assistant operate the manual pump to see if fuel comes out of carburetor bowl drain.----Try and start the motor with your assistant operating the manual pump.
Ok, I just tried that. I do have fuel coming out of the bowls.

Does the electric primer valve click when you push in the key , yes or no ?------There are 4 carburetors and 4 separate crankcases,----I doubt it is a vacuum issue.

Not clicking. Engine is now getting fuel but seems to not take it. Plugs are wet carbs are still full. Sorry for the last response I haven’t had time to mess with it.

Back