Logo

1992 Johnson 150 excessive movement (top of shock mount?)

fishhuntguy

I have a 1992 Johnson 150 Silver Star motor. I have noticed when I hit the throttle, that the top of the motor moves backwards as if the transom is giving. I inspected the motor and transom and it is not the transom. I can see where the steering rod connects and that looks ok. I took the bottom part of the cover off and the movement looks like its coming from directly behind the steering rod below the engine. There is a shaft that comes down through a circle. The bottom part of the motor is stable. It's almost like a bushing is missing.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what the name of the parts are so I can begin my research. Thanks for the help in advance.

Here is a pic of a motor I found... Maybe this will help describe what mine is doing.

motor.png

im not sure about the 1992 but i have an 87 my powerhead is held in place by 10 bolts. when theyre tight there is no reason it should move. i would take the collar of just below the lower cowling and check every bolt.

Here is a pic of my motor and where I can tell it is moving. I am in the process of checking every bolt... everything is tight so far.

picsay-1305392921.jpg

This is where I can tell there is movement. The steering rod (where the bolt is) does not move. Everything above it does.

picsay-1305392726.jpg

Is that a difficult fix? Do you know where a good place to get parts online? I have looked for a parts diagram and can't find anything for that section. Thanks again!

Try looking it up for the 91 and 93 model on -----------midsection------------- for some reason they left the mount out on the 92 breakdown.

accross the top --------------------contact us------------------Tell them the parts breakdowns are incomplete and the upper motor mount is missing in the pictures.-------------About $200.00 and should be readily available.

I sent them an email. I just talked with a mechanic and he said that those motor mounts are hard to find for those years because they quit making them. He mentioned having to buy a "solid mount."

Found the part number... in some breakdowns, its in the cover/decal. Others have it with the engine block. It is #434613. Anyone with any info, please contact me!

Back