Logo

1992 70 HP Johnson disconnect oil injector pump.

geoponic

some say to disconnect wiring,cut oil hose near motor plug it and thats it. some say to install a new fuel pump in it's place. Any feedback would be helpful.

I'm not sure if it works I haven't tried to fire up the motor yet it's been in storage for six years. Do you know of a way to test the VRO before running the motor.

Oldsaltydog,
compression top cyl.110 center cyl 99 bottom cyl 100 new plugs good spark new fuel tank and line. Fresh fuel. It fires up after choking and runs for a couple seconds then stalls.

A motor that's been sitting for 6 years HAS to have a carburetor rebuild. Not a big project. I've attached a link to a diagram of all the internals of your carburetors. You'll need to order carb kits. On the diagram, you'll need to remove plugs #4 and #5. There are very fine holes below those plugs that need to be cleaned out. #22 is your idle jet. It needs to be cleaned out. Spraying carb cleaner with the "straw" attached through the hole along with gently sliding a small wire (I use braided speaker wire and start with 3 or 4 strands and then gradually add a few more strands at a time until it fits snugly in the hole.) Don't do anything that will make the hole larger! Those jets are incredibly meticulously sized for your motor. Once that's cleaned up, #14 is your high speed jet. It will probably need a lot of attention since the gas was sitting in the bowl for 6 years and it turned to crap. That jet is often difficult to get out. If you find a screwdriver that's small enough to reach it, it's probably too sharp a point to grip it correctly. If you have an anle grinder or belt sander or even a small file, you can grind the point on the screwdriver to make it more blunt on the tip. When the jets are cleaned well, you should be able to hold them up to a light and see a perfectly round hole. You'll need to clean out the bowls of the carbs real good too. If any residue or flaking stuff is left in the bowl, it will flake off when the motor is in use and will clog the jets up again. If you have access to an air compressor, you'll want to blow out every passage and make sure there are no blockages.
Let us know how it goes.

The VRO is operating nicely. Thanks for the clear description about cleaning carbs I'm going to start on that. I want to replace the impeller and I watched a couple videos on it. Do you know of a place where I can get written instruction on doing that. It looks like a job that I can tackle.
Thanks again

I drained float bowls and cleaned jets that I could get at without removing carbs and engine is running really well in my driveway .Now I have to put a load on it.
Thank you

Back