Logo

1992 115 hp mercury low oil alarm

yap_yap

Contributing Member
My 1992 115 hp merc had low oil alarm problem (I think) (oil in tank but alarm stayed on)Removed low oil sensor in oil tank so alarm out of action.(Can not fix it)
Is there a way to check if oil is getting through as normal or could the alarm have come on if it was not getting through ?

The oil tank sensor only monitors the oil level, it doesn't tell you if the system is working so it was always of limited value.

Later models included a motion sensor on the pump itself (again helpful but still didn't monitor "oil flow").

Anyhow, your system can be tested as follows (see pic). If you are unsure as to whether it's working or working properly I would suggest you run 50:1 pre-mix in the mean time. Extra oil can foul the plugs and cause extra smoke, but better than toasting the cylinders due to lack of oil.

3 and 4 cyl oil pump test.jpg

Later models included a motion sensor on the pump itself (again helpful but still didn't monitor "oil flow")
Sorry but none of the 3 or 4 cylinder engines ever had a motion sensor. The major problem with oil alarms on these engines is the internal float magnet becomes unglued and the oil module....

Back