Logo

1991 Force 357F91A and my 14' heavy skiff

skiffscott

First, Thank's to all for the advise and information....just spent the last 4 hours going over the "Force" section here. I'm not sure if I feel better or worse for taking my '79 Johnson 25 tiller off and replacing it with the 35 Force remote. I sure do love the steering wheel!!

I have a good running motor, but am having problems getting my J-14 Skiff to plane out if I have a passenger on board. I have added a lot of weight to the skiff by means of a decked floor (wood/carpet) and casting deck (more wood and carpet) and mid storage compartment (yes...more wood and carpet). With 2 on board, I have not exceeded the load capacity to my knowlege but I'm tipping the scale...and I'd like to get this going better.

I'm running the 13.5 pitch prop and it has a lot of torque taking off (the motor came off of a smallish pontoon boat), so I'm wondering if I can change the prop to have less bottom-end and more top speed. I have no tach (yet), but the motor seems to spin too slow. I'm just seeking a little honest input.

Do I need to start ripping the added wood off my skiff or do I have an alternative to this planing problem by simply going to another prop? If so...what pitch? If not a viable solution, your advise will be well taken and appreciated.

Well I love my force...its on a 14' tri hull jon boat. Fiberglass of course, and I even pull tubes and wake boarders all the time. Boat is heavy as hell though..lol.Remote steer will get you off the back of the boat therefore allowing it to plane better... And IMO if you add weight, as well as of course passengers...then I would go with the bigger motor. As long as you dont exceed the recommended HP for your rig. yeah...boat may hold it up and not sink..but the transom could rip off or even worse, you lose control at a high rate of speed because the damn thing is not stable anymore.

Oh yeah...and if you decide to change that prop...then you will have even more problems plaining off. So think twice about that. Boats have one huge issue man...they have to start off in high gear all the time, so that being said if you put to high a gear on there...the engine may not have the power to turn it fast enough to get up to speed! So think hard on doing that...Good luck!

Thank's for the input. I'm going to hook up a tach and see what it says before changing the prop pitch and maybe take some more weight off the boat...hmmm

The pitch for a pontoon is way different than a flat bottom boat.But like you said you need a tach to really do it right.J

Back