Logo

1991 Evinrude 90 HP constant alarm

barrysmarine

I bought a 1992 Lund Tyee2 16' deep V boat with a 1991 Evinrude 90hp (model #E90TLEIE) in early May. When I bought it, the motor was not charging the motor and the tach was not working. I replaced the voltage rectifier/regulator with a new correct CDI unit. Charging starting working albeit lethargically (no voltage increase at idle but voltage increased to 13-15 volts at higher rpms), but still no tach. Took it out twice in May on the water, and motor ran good. Good idle, mid range and high speed (35 mph @ WOT), but would sometimes die at off idle. Ran it on muffs several times at my shop with no issues, other then occasional alarm going off, which cleared up after a minute or two. Motor has new impeller/water pump according to previous owner, and pumps good. Head temps are good with laser thermometer (under 160). Today I decided to try to track down the tach problem by playing with the voltage reg/rec, including hooking up old OEM one (which did make the tach work a couple times, so I know wiring and tach are good), but no luck. Also tried two other older tachs that use to work and no luck. Called CDI and their tech told me their voltage rec/reg is working fine, although some of the DVA voltages are out of spec. I'm skeptical. And now, the alarm comes on constant when key turns to ON. And does not go off after running for a few minutes. Disconnect both temp sensors on the heads, and still constant alarm. VRO has been bypassed, oil line plugged, and electrical connector disconnected. Running on 50:1 premix. So now I have two problems, non-working tach, and constant alarm, even with cold motor and not starting. I'm a retired marine mechanic with 23 years experience, so I rarely ask for help. But I've tried everything I could find on line, and have had no success. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back