Logo

1991 Evinrude 90 first start in 9 years

Chevy57

Folks,

I'm getting ready to start this motor after a 5-9 year slumber. Wife says its been sitting 5 years husband says 9 years. Not sure whos right or if it matters. I see this motor has a schrader valve for something on top of the top carburetor with small lines to the carbs. I'm wondering if I can pull the core out of this valve and use it to flush the carbs? The motor turns over great and has great compression, even has spark. You can see that the motor was fogged and owners confirmed that they pulled the plugs out once a year and sprayed the cylinders with fogging oil. They said the schrader valve was used to fog the fuel / intake system. I don't really know what that means. I also don't really know what the valve does. do you think I should just pull the carbs and clean them before trying to start it? I am looking to try to save some time.

That is the electric PRIMER VALVE used for starting !---It sprays fuel directly into carburetor throat.----For cold start.----Key MUST be pushed in and held in while cranking for cold starting.-----Electric primer can not be used for flushing the carburetors.-----Pull drain plugs on carburetor bowls.---Operate primer bulb on hose to flush carburetors.-----Any green goo on those plugs ?-----Install a new water pump impeller.----Test overheat horn.------If VRO is in service it is wise too add oil to tank until you confirm VRO is working properly.----Find an owners manual for a V-4 from 1981 to 98 and have a look.----It could save you many beer tokens.

Last edited:
That is the electric PRIMER VALVE used for starting !---It sprays fuel directly into carburetor throat.----For cold start.----Key MUST be pushed in and held in while cranking for cold starting.-----Electric primer can not be used for flushing the carburetors.-----Pull drain plugs on carburetor bowls.---Operate primer bulb on hose to flush carburetors.-----Any green goo on those plugs ?-----Install a new water pump impeller.----Test overheat horn.------If VRO is in service it is wise too add oil to tank until you confirm VRO is working properly.----Find an owners manual for a V-4 from 1981 to 98 and have a look.----It could save you many beer tokens.

perfect. Solid advice. No goo on plugs at all. I’ll drain fuel from carbs I already premixed 5 gallons of fresh ethanol free fuel and 50:1 oil just in case

Back