Logo

1991 Evinrude 40HP Manual Tilt Assist Cable

johnt

Model TE40ELEIA - Should be a 1991 40HP

It is a manual tilt motor and it has the lever on the side to release the motor to come up, and apparently that cylinder will give some lift assistance? We believe the cable is shot and not releasing the lock down mechanism on that assist cylinder. So...the plan is to try and loosen the cable-to-cylinder nut and hope to be able to release it manually and get the motor to come all the way up. If that works it will likely need to have the cable replaced?

We would appreciate ANY input on first getting the motor tilted up, and of course then any tips on cable replacement. I am finding two part numbers for the cable and am unsure how to know which one it actually is: 434674 and 436202 Can anyone confirm the difference or which one we need? What other parts should we order to make things go smoothly and make a better finished product? Bushings, connectors, nuts?

This forum is such a great resource and we truly appreciate ANY assistance to get my son back on the water and out of the "down in the dumps boat owner" feeling.

Thanks, John

Did this end up working for you? I'm having the same issue with my unit being in the locked down position and the tilt assist level and cable not helping to unlock.

guys its very simple to release the pressure, but motor needs to be off the boat if its stuck in the down position. the cable nut comes off as shown. remove cable end if you can. get a long screwdriver and pry UP on the valve while grabbing the skeg (not cowling . not designed for that much weight) and pushing up. the part #'s are interchangeable. the latest one is superceded and probably improved, although i did think the earlier ones came with a metal vs. plastic nut but either are fine.

Any luck? I have 1991 40HP Evinrude and am quickly learning what I can. When I got the motor it was stuck in the down position and I was able to find the lever on the handle was what controlled the lift assist. I got it in the up position but it is VERY hard to move up or down and sometimes gets stuck for a while. I've only dealt with smaller outboards in the past and am trying to figure out what I can do to help make it easier to lift up and down. I'm worried about being out on the lake and having it stick up on me. Any advise is appreciated!

Back