Logo

1991 Evinrude 115 bogs down when trying to accelerate.

gunz

Hey so i just bought a used boat I don't have any history on the motor. The motor runs but seems to have a cylinder not firing. I did a compression test left two cylinder are 95 and right are 105. also did the 7/16 spark test and it passed. cylinder 2 seems to be not firing. its strange because on the hose I cant hear it but in the water I can. another thing is on the hose the engine runs and throttles up fine but in the water it will not accelerate. I'm going to check fuel pressure tomorrow but I'm thinking I need to rebuild the carbs. the plug in cylinder 2 looked brand new. Just wanted to know am I heading in the right direction or should I be checking something else?

Also i seen some cheap carb kits online is it safe to use aftermarket or should i use Evinrude. and what's the deal with carb cleaner some say soak them but in what?

Did the motor sit for a number of years ?-----VRO in service and tested or mixing at 50:1 on it ?-----On a trailer in gear is still neutral !------Prop does no work in air.----Check flywheel key , timing might be off.-----I would pull the cylinder head to look as to why the compression is low on the left side.----The clean plug might indicate no fuel , too much fuel, no cylinder compression, no crankcase compression or bad plug.-----

The guy said he had it for about 6 months ran fine. Then one day the temp alarm came on he shut it off, changed the thermostat ran fine for a few more months then started doing this. So he decided to sell it. No VRO mixing gas. I was going to check the timing but wasn't sure if it's possible with a dead cylinder. I was going to pull the head to look at the cylinder walls the. But I seen a video of a guy using a amsoil power foam and it brought his compression up about 10 psi figured I'd try that first. Wasn't sure if power foam was safe for the carbs though.

What you saw in the video is the way to go.------Power foam will solve the issue !----Note----You can not find a sheared flywheel key with your timing light.

???----No ---Not #2 for the pump.-----I can not see what pump is on this motor.-----I believe the owner has a plan to fix this motor !

The reason I ask is if there is a fuel pump with a leaking diaphragm, that is where the fuel will go.
Racer quote: "The clean plug might indicate no fuel , TOO MUCH FUEL, no cylinder compression, no crankcase compression or bad plug."

He---" just bought a used boat "-----I can not see the situation , can not hear the motor.-----Not sure if owner knows which cylinder he calls #2 either.---Not sure if it is running with VRO or the simple pump on the intake manifold.--------Often a used boat and motor has a host of issues.-----The poster should do some simple trouble shooting !!

Right. Really would like to be able to see these motors with our own eyes and hear them with our own ears. Without these aids we are sometimes not able to pinpoint a problem....that really might be quite OBVIOUS!
Note: The previous owner, (shortlived), bailed on the boat, eh?
Maybe you understand. I look for work that has been done, or any tampering done in the past. This often leads to a good starting point. My experience has showed me that many folks can quickly "mess things up", by attempting a repair.

Last edited:
Back