Logo

1991 60hp Mercury outboard SN 0D012753

Cajunn

Hi, I new to this forum, I just came across it via internet search. I am in the process of bypassing my oil injector pump. I read about several different ways this is done. I removed the pump and removed the plunger out of the pump itself, is this sufficient or does the shaft in the motor need to be removed. Or would it be best to remove the whole pump and put a delete plate? If so, do they make one for this, or do I have to make one?

Thanks in advance,

If you leave the shaft in there it can rattle around and cause some damage, so that's the important thing to get out.

You could then "plate" the hole or simply put the pump back to keep the cooties out.

OR

You could leave the entire assembly alone and simply connect a tube between the in/out of the pump. If you fill the pump with oil it will run there fine all by itself doing essentially nothing.

OR

If the pump is working, why not just leave it alone?

Oil pumps get blamed for all kinds of problems but they are rarely the cause.

They can't kill an ignition component, they don't cause an overheat, they don't clog carbs - if a single cylinder or piston gets toasted that was likely a dirty carb, not the oil pump - if it fails all your cylinders will fry.

Even if it's busted (rare), a new pump sells for under 100 bucks at a dealer. The problem with this system was the early drive gears, but that was corrected making this a good system.

The VRO2 pump on my OMC retails for about 400 bucks. I still have it in place (and working perfectly) on my 1986 model. If it ever goes, a new one will take it's place.

Oilers are not the "boogey man" that guys at the dock would have you believe.

And finally, if you do disable it you can no longer blame it for any future problem your power head has :)

If you really would sleep better at night with it gone, then get rid of it. But if you simply think it's the "thing to do" because "Bob" says so, I would ask a few more guys who actually rebuild motors for their opinion - most will tell you the oiler is one of the least likely points of failure on an outboard...

Thanks for the info galamb! I have alway bought used boats, and they for some reason, both had the oil injection pump disabled. I really prefer it, just less working parts to give me trouble while I'm in the basin stumps. Now this one I have, the CDI rectifier module went out, kept blowning the fuse on the side of the motor, until I finally figured it out. I was in the middle of Toledo Bend and not to happy, only had one fuse left before I found the problem. And I told myself this was the first thing I was doing when I got home.
Now for the shaft, does it just pull out? I removed the pump and used a magnet to see if it would just come out, but it moves back and forth about 1/4". I did not try to grab it with pliers.

Grab hold and pull - there is a bushing in there with it (kinda on the inside), but it should all come out..

Almost complete with the oil injection deletion, only one question. There is a hole that goes from the fuel pump to the cylinder block (about a 4" hole), does this need to be removed and plugged?

Sorry, from the fuel pump or the oil pump?

If you are talking about the hole left behind with the oil pump removed, yes, it must be sealed or your crankcase will "leak" - so a gasket (or liquid gasket) and some kind of plate to prevent the crankcase pressure (oil/gas/air mix) from getting out and the air getting in...

There is a hole from the fuel pump to the crankcase. I will take a picture tomorrow tomorrow and post so you can see it.

This jumper

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0323.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

Back