Logo

1991 60hp Mariner High Voltage problem

CPTV

Hello, I have a 1991 60hp Mariner I’ve owned the boat for roughly 10years never any issues. The Rectifier Voltage Regulator melted, and left me stranded on the water for about 3 hours until someone towed me in. I order a new Rectifier Voltage Regulator through my local boat center. I ask them what could have caused this problem and they said it happens over time. Make sure you got a fresh battery and check all your wires and clean all your connections and don’t use wing nuts. I checked all my wires, scraped all connections with a wire brush and a razor blade. I installed the new Rectifier Voltage Regulator. The motor starts up and runs just fine. But it’s putting out over 17 volts to the charging system; Causing The alarm to go off. and will stay on as soon as you turn the key. Per service manual it stated that the alarm will sound when voltages are over 16. Any help would be much appreciated!

What kind of battery are you using, some of the earlier Mercury charging equipment use the interal resistance of the battery to absorb/controlthe voltage. My '85 - 60 HP needs a standard lead acid battery to function properly..

I have just realized the same issue, the Mercs of that era only had simple rectifiers with no internal regulators it seems (really dumb in my opinion), however CDI make a replacement part which is rectifier and regulator in the one unit and I thing has the same foot print. I have ordered one myself and will install it next week hopefully.

Regards
Leachy

Back