Logo

1990s Johnson 40 hp wire identification.

SamuraiSammy

I have a 1990s Johnson 40 hp outboard with wires out like choke, kill switch, solenoid, etc. Only a few of these wires are in use but I'm planning to use the rest with a new ignition switch. The problem is that there are these odd brown and grey wires that come out of the same harness that the other wires are from. The unused wires loop back into these unlabelled brown wires and the used ones like the solenoid have been cut from the plug and run to the ignition switch. Looking further up the wire harness, the 4 brown wires have different coloured stripes along with a grey and black wire. That all runs to a female plug and the other 6 wires on the male side are for the ignition switch except for a black with a white striped wire that I do not know what its purpose is. Could these have been two separate plugs at one point and someone connected them together? If so what are they for. Should I cut the wires I plan on using like the choke, from this plug like the other ones in use?

Here is an image of where the output wires loop back into the brown wires.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 8
The grey wire is being used in the kill switch but that apears to be the only useful wire coming from the brown plug. The engine seems to be able to run fine with the two plugs being disconnected from each other. Could it be some ground bank for a bigger boat?

Back