Logo

1990 OMC Cobra 57L

timinmtta

"I had asked earlier about my

"I had asked earlier about my cobra shifting hard in and out of gear, I have come to find out that there was a recall on the transom shift cable, and the previous owner never got this corrected. Would anyone know if this recall is still in effect or if I could benefit from it. I have ordered the new cable kit($175.00)."

"What color is the cable in th

"What color is the cable in there now? Should be red. Your about 15 yrs too late for the recall especially since OMC went out of business. Have a read through this website for the history of this problem and some good info on replacing it and adjusting it.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

"Yeah mine is black, I have re

"Yeah mine is black, I have read your info on this great job. I was just curious about the recall. My local OMC shop couldn't believe it hasn't been replaced. I am going to this weekend, I have been doing allot of reading on it, thanks for all the info."

"May not be a 'color'

"May not be a 'color' thing. The first cables were black, but not 'smooth' surface on the out side. The new ones were red and smooth, and later it has even been black BUT smooth on the outside.
However replacing it might be a good idea, and do not forget to even replace the bearing cup for the crank in the transom with the new type with a grease fitting!"

Back