Logo

1990 johnson j100wtlesm carb questions

111steal

hello iam new to this forum. i have been working on this motor all summer and thanks to all the people here i have had alot of luck getting my motor going, but its not there yet. i bought a dva adaptor and think i have solved the electric problems i hope! i put the boat on the river tonite and left it on the trailer as it has a jet foot. it would not quite come to wot. i have linked and sinked everything. check timing its good. i pulled the intake cover it seems to be getting to much fuel. iam far from a boat mech but iam trying! i would like to know if u can adjust these carbs to lean it out or can you change the jets. the carbs have had kits put in them this year. if you can change the jets from oem were can i get them? would the reeds cause this problem? if anyone could help that would be great cause the fish are waiting!

When a motor does -" not have any power " ------the first thing to do is a compression test.---Then check to see if you have spark on all 4 that will jump a gap of 7/16" with a snap you can hear.-------If those are good you look at other issues like carburetors / fuel pump / crankcase comprssion etc , etc.

thanks for the info. i have checked spark and compression there both good. i have check all electrical with dva meter and everything checked out good. it has a new fuel pump. i dont have the owners manual yet it should be here friday. i was just wondering if you can adjust these carbs or get leaner jets. if anyone could help. that would be great. thanks again for the info.

There are no adjustments on the carburetors.---------------Where is the red lever on the primer pointing ?--------Did you remove the high speed orifice from the float bowl ( brass 5/8" long with 1/4-20NC thread ) to clean them properly ??

the red lever if your looking at the front of the motor is to the right. i have not pulled the orifice yet but i will do that this afternoon. will carb cleaner do the job?
is there any trick to get them out?

The red lever should be " in line " with the body of the solenoid.----If it is not the the motor will flood.------At any rate try turning that lever or remove the wee hose at the top carburetor.----With the engine started and warmed up no fuel should come out of that wee hose.

no problem with primer or orifice. i put the boat on the water twice today and think i found the problem. its overheating and cuting out found this out on first run. went home and pulled thermostats. they were in bad shape. went back to the water ran it again still getting hot. iam going to pull water pump tomorrow. dont know what else to do! thanks for all the help

If engine has overheated, perhaps an idea to change the head gaskets and replace the deflectors at the same time as doing the water pump.
Do not run the engine without working thermostats as it for sure will overheat on one side and you run the ris of burning the regulator if you have the one mounted on top behind the flywheel.

Back