Logo

1990 Johnson 90 running issues

bbaxter429

I have a Johnson 90 that i took to the marine mechanic and they told me i needed new Stator, Trigger, Recifier, and power pack. i had just replace the power pack about 2 weeks prior to taking it to the mechanic as thats what i thought the issue was. the power pack had swelled noticeably. I replaced all units and took to the water. however boat is now not running and seems to relate back to the power pack again. what could be causing this issue?

It's just odd that all those different components would be bad at the same time. Have the individual components been checked to verify they are bad or is it
just a blanket attempt at troubleshooting an unknown problem.
Lets start at the beginning. The engine needs Air and Fuel in the right mixture, A strong spark at the right time, and adequate compression.
What are the compression numbers for each cylinder?
Does the spark jump at least a 1/2 inch gap in open air?
Part of the stator is for charging the battery and part is for running the ignition system. Those two part of the stator are not electrically connected. The stator is charged by magnets located on the flywheel. The usual failure mode for the stator is to melt.
What was the original issue that started all of this?

Back