Logo

1990 Johnson 90 how tnt motor rebuild

riopga

Regular Contributor
My motor on my tilt and trim unit quit working. I have the unit off the motor. Is this a motor that can be rebuilt by an amateur? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new one? I haven't taken it apart yet because one of the screws broke off at the head, so I will have to drill it out.

Yes, it can rebuilt by just about anybody. It depends on what the problem is.... usually just the brushes wore out.

The broken stud... drilling out a steel stud within an aluminum shell is not for a amateur. Let a machine shop handle that chore.

Joe, I have found a machine shop fairly close by. What am I looking at after they drill out the broken bolt? A time-sert? Thanks for your help.

I am taking the unit to get the bolt drilled out. After it is removed, wont I need some sort of insert to be able to put a new bolt in? Or can I just re-tap the aluminum of the unit? What I am trying to get at is how I reattach the motor.

A shop might have a dedicated set-up using EDM------Electro Discharge Machining.-----They could " burn " the bolt out or split it.-----Then retap the hole.-----Or install a helicoil to repair the threads.-----Drilling with a hand held drill will usually result in a mess.

I am taking the unit to get the bolt drilled out. After it is removed, wont I need some sort of insert to be able to put a new bolt in? Or can I just re-tap the aluminum of the unit? What I am trying to get at is how I reattach the motor.

As Racerone states.... The machine shop will take care of restoring the threads to new status. They aren't going to give you back a piece of beat up housing.

Often with these, they can heat and drill using a reverse drill bit, and the drill will engage the screw and back it out without ruining the threads. Other times, you can tap to a slightly bigger size and use a slightly bigger bolt in that hole. Or they can use a coil or thread insert, depending on the shop.

I generally go with the next size bigger screw if absolutely needed.

Forget trying to rebuild the trim motor. A new aftermarket one is about $55. They work just fine. Just make sure to get one with the little adapter with it.

Hope this helps.

Often with these, they can heat and drill using a reverse drill bit, and the drill will engage the screw and back it out without ruining the threads. Other times, you can tap to a slightly bigger size and use a slightly bigger bolt in that hole. Or they can use a coil or thread insert, depending on the shop.

I generally go with the next size bigger screw if absolutely needed.

Forget trying to rebuild the trim motor. A new aftermarket one is about $55. They work just fine. Just make sure to get one with the little adapter with it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for responding. Where is an aftermarket one for $55? On this site it's a $160. What is the adapter you are talking about?

$160 would be for a sealed, OEM factory unit from BRP. Can't go wrong with the real stuff.

The cheaper ones are all over online if you search. You are rolling the dice, but if on a tight budget, it's an option.

The adapter comes with most new ones. Here is an example. You can see the adapter at the bottom right of the picture:

61GekoYgZzL._SL1190_.jpg

Back