Logo

1990 Force 90 idle and power problems

flyfisher5097

"I am looking for some help wi

"I am looking for some help with a Force 90hp Outboard motor, It is a 1990 year motor with 3 carbs. I was having problems getting full deflection on the throttle and also getting the idle to be around 800. The problem I am having now is there doesn't seem to be much power, it also seems to start hard and often stalls when I put it in gear. I presume that the mixture screw settings for the carbs is off. I would like to know what the starting setting is for the mixture screws located at the opening of the carbs. Do the mixture screws affect power on top end as well as idle? I have fresh fuel in the tank, 89 octane. Would someone please help?"

One turn out from lightly seat

One turn out from lightly seated to begin.Final adjustments to be made in the water in Gear. Straigth from force man. RPMS if it is prestolite rpm range should be 4500-5500. Thunderbolt 5000-5500

"Wow, I ran one in and it was

"Wow, I ran one in and it was closer to 3 turns out! I will run them all in and start over. i am assuming that it will be 1/4 turn increments equally amongst the three carbs. Does the length of travel of the shift cable determine the speed of the boat? in other words, can I increase the boat speed by maximizing the travel of the cable?"

Back