Logo

1990 Evinrude 25hp Throttle Issues

pharesjared

I have a 1990 evinrude 25 that I have been working on this summer. I have the engine starting and running good, but I cannot get it to reach full throttle using the lever on the control box. When the lever is in the upright position, the butterfly in the carb is closed, as it should be. When I start to move the lever forward, I have to push it almost all the way down before the throttle begins to turn the butterfly. When the lever is pushed as far as it will go, it will only open the butterfly about a quarter to halfway. I have played with all of the throttle linkages on the engine and carb to no avail. By adjusting them, I was able to get it the butterfly to open all the way, but when I achieved this the butterfly would still be partially open when the lever was in the upright position. It almost seems as if the control box does not provide enough throw. Something else worth noting is that the warmup lever must be engaged to start the motor, but lifting it does not affect the RPMs at all.

Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated!

7028720C-830F-4D3D-8157-8F39441B8C48.jpegCE601363-2C4E-4D76-8B5B-BC1125DD56E1.jpegC95628E9-6C3D-435E-AD37-0735A27B71A6.jpegCED4C982-73A9-49B2-8856-50B1AF2F3F12.jpeg470D1E09-7F68-4851-88AD-3378271DB20F.jpeg
Here are some pictures. It seems that some of them turned upside down when I uploaded them on here, I’m not sure why but I think you can still get the general idea. Thanks.

I’ve been looking off and on all morning and can’t find any images or videos where one is linked like mine, except for one video that does not clearly show the throttle linkage. I just took this picture of the bracket so you could see it more clearly, and maybe point me in the right direction on how to fix it. Thanks.

They have used that bracket since the late 1950's.----works very well.--There are other style brackets as well.----Attaches with 1 screw.-----On the port side of the motor there is a thin metal rod that operates the throttle plate.----Post pictures of that and the sliding stop on that rod , at idle and at full throttle position.

Motor has to be in gear to to get full throttle.-----And at idle there should be a gap between that white plastic piece and that stop with the screw.----Look into getting that rod set to factory specification.

Back