Logo

1990 evinrude 200

romex

"I have a 1990 200hp evinrude.

"I have a 1990 200hp evinrude.hears the problem,underneath the fly wheel my timer base has a sticky goo all over it which keeps it from going foward as i increase the throttle, its even hard to advance by hand. what is this stuff ? would it be the cause of hard starts,a miss at idle etc ?"

check to see if your stator is

check to see if your stator is gone. may not be give enough charge to your powerpack. timer base may be ok. Do volt and ohm test to it your TB and Stator.

Do you have johnson manuel?

Larry

"yes larry i have a service ma

"yes larry i have a service manual for the motors i have, i will do the ohm&volt test as soon as i get out of the fire station"

"As Larry states.... The stato

"As Larry states.... The stator's two large black coils at the rear portion of the stator are components that deliver approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack's capacitor (beginning of ignition system).

The stator has overheated causing those black coils to melt down. This causes the timer base to stick, and at the same time results in weak, and eventually, non existent ignition.

Unfortunately those 35amp stators run extremely hot and this problem will reoccur at some point in time again, the point in time depending on the hours run."

"Joe,

So do you think that

"Joe,

So do you think that you should always purchase a new stator rather then a good used one do to heat damage?

Also what is the avrage amount of hours befor they usually go bad??

Larry"

I have a set of new stators in

I have a set of new stators in my shed that i kept for emergency repairs but they were for my set of 88-johnson 200's would they also work on the 1990 evinrude 200's

thanks for the parts catalog.

thanks for the parts catalog. It looks like all those spare electrical parts for those 88-200's will come in handy. the stators and timer base part numbers all match.

Back