Logo

1990 90hp johnson question

I just picked up a 1990 Johnson vro, 90hp. The owner was running 50:1 in the gas. Is this a good mix? I plan to be doing more low rpm type trolling than high speed stuff. Also I know the vro is supposed to be oil injected, but I can't find where the oil fill is, did they make vro motors without oil injection? It may be bypassed. Sorry I won't have a motor # till after work but General information would be helpful. Thanks

Many of these motors had the oil injection bypassed or a simpler / cheaper pump installed.------Start your project with a compression test.---------Folks rarely sell a motor in A-1 condition.

Many of these motors had the oil injection bypassed or a simpler / cheaper pump installed.------Start your project with a compression test.---------Folks rarely sell a motor in A-1 condition.

Motor is in good working order, I'm really just curious about the mix for longevity, and I'm concerned about loading up. Owner sold the motor because it was too much for his pontoon. Unfortunately when it comes to buying outboards there's always a risk, in this case it's a $1500 risk

The oil goes into a separate tank on VRO equipped engines, that is connected to the motor by a line that looks just like a gas line. If there is no tank, then the VRO system has probably been bypassed. Check and see if the oil line from the VRO pump is at least plugged or capped. Run 50:1 mix, and add some Seafoam to every tank of gas. Try and run ethanol free gas, and a good quality name brand TCW-3 2 stroke oil. You didn't say what kind of boat you are putting it on.. you may need a different prop compared to what the previous owner had for his pontoon boat.

Back