Logo

1990 90 hsp evinrude rebuild

kherby1

how do i know which gaskets require gasket sealing compound and which do not
Obviously , the crankcase gets sealer , but , more specifically , what about the intake manifold and the exhaust housing .
And , what sealer , if needed , is preferred on those two
I had planned to use the normal Evinrude Gasket Sealing Compound , if any is required , not the Gel 2

Yes , I know that the Gelseal MUST be used on the crankcase halves and i also know that no sealer is used on the carburetors ,but , as i asked in the first post , does anyone know if you use the manifold gasket dry

You have to use the ---gelseal----on the crankcase halves !!
Yes , I know that you MUST use the gelseal on the crankcase halves , but what about the INTAKE MANIFOLD and the EXHAUST HOUSING gaskets ?? Do they go on dry ??????

You asked: "what about the INTAKE MANIFOLD and the EXHAUST HOUSING gaskets ?"

Use "Gasket Sealer" on both those items... comes in a can with a brush attached to its screw off cap.

Joe - Found a post of yours from another forum dated December 15, 2007 discussing sealants . Good stuff !!! Thanks !!!
Did not see anything specific in it about PH to Exhaust Housing sealants or dry gasket .
What are your thoughts on that???

You have to have experience and " in depth " knowledge of motors.-----On your motor there are " holes " in parts of the motor that are are involved with recirculating the oil.-----If you use sealats / gasket makers with the idea that " more is better " you might block these holes.-----So I say ----" work carefully and understand " what you are doing !!!

Joe -
Your post from December 2007 states to not use sealant on Carbs or INTAKE MANIFOLD ???

Personally, in their early years, I did use the gasket sealer on the intake manifold... BUT... in later years came the holes for recirculating hoses, primer hoses used in place of the butterfly choke... SO... one should use a bit of caution on the intake manifold with the sealing compound. When in doubt, simply use oil on that item.

Last edited:
Thanks a million
Great info !!
I am fully aware of the the recirc fitting and passages and will pay close attention to those during assembly

Back