Logo

1990 8hp Johnson won't idle/stay running

bcontento

Contributing Member
motor used to work fine and run well. It started not running great (surging, poor idle) and then it has gone unused since. I decide it was time to get the boat back on the water, so I pulled the motor off and have it hanging it a 50 gallon drum. I can get it to kick over (especially with a shot of starting fluid) but it only runs for a couple of seconds then dies. I got fresh gas for it (mixed 50:1), new plugs (cross-referenced the part number to make sure I got the right ones). I used a spark plug tester inline to make sure I was getting spark (and I am). I pulled the fuel pump off with the intent to clean and rebuild it, but decided to replace it (bought the Sierra 18-7350 according to what I've read). Installed the new fuel pump, pulled off the fuel lines and blew them out and cleaned them. I've got good fuel flow out of the hose up to the carb nipple (at least I think I do...i squeeze the primer bulb and I get fuel pumping out). I thought maybe the carb was gunked up so I removed it to clean it out. I pulled the float bowl off of the bottom and used carb cleaner and air to clean everything up (not gunked). I pulled the tiny little rubber hose off in there and cleaned it out and blew air through it. I reassembled the bottom and pulled the top off, cleaned it all out and put it back together. After reassembly, same condition. It'll kick over with some starter fluid but wont idle (not even if I mist it with starter fluid once it kicks over).

My guess would be that it's something with the carb still. is there a good carb rebuild guide you can link me to for this motor?

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! THanks all

Back