Logo

1990 70HP Carbs not all the same.

Jeff67

1990 70 HP J70TLESB Running rough this spring and I decided to rebuild the carburetors. I have the SELOC 1308 service manual which for some reason it appears to skips over my model carb. The manual is really lacking on quality diagrams and exploded views. From what I can tell all three of the carbs should be the same. I do not see anything to tell me otherwise. The top 2 carbs have idle speed mixture screws the bottom carb has a jet and a plug. Is this correct?

By the way do not buy the really cheap China made carb kits. A lot of the parts do not fit correctly such as the float pivot pin. I was able to make do though. The carbs needed it and the engine runs much better but has an issue with the idle. I did read the post from [h=3]Bad Synch & Link Adjustments 1990 70hp[/h]
Lets start with, are my carbs correct?

The parts list on this site shows no difference between the carbs. It hsows idle adjust screws.

Buy the OEM manual from Outboardbooks.com

1990 70 HP J70TLESB Running rough this spring and I decided to rebuild the carburetors. I have the SELOC 1308 service manual which for some reason it appears to skips over my model carb. The manual is really lacking on quality diagrams and exploded views. From what I can tell all three of the carbs should be the same. I do not see anything to tell me otherwise. The top 2 carbs have idle speed mixture screws the bottom carb has a jet and a plug. Is this correct?

By the way do not buy the really cheap China made carb kits. A lot of the parts do not fit correctly such as the float pivot pin. I was able to make do though. The carbs needed it and the engine runs much better but has an issue with the idle. I did read the post from Bad Synch & Link Adjustments 1990 70hp

Lets start with, are my carbs correct?
No your carbs are not correct. The one with no adjustment is not correct according to the parts fiche.

Last edited:
I would guess it's not worth replacing the carb and just run it the way it is. I went to, two different boat dealers yesterday asking about getting the correct gauge fuel line from them to replace the fuel lines going to the (T)connectors between the three carbs. They were of no help at all which is not even comprehendible that they do not have fuel line or new connectors! I got the feeling that it was intentional that they would not help because I've an older motor. Is this common in the outboard industry?

Well at least I have another question for you. On page 4-7 in SELOC manual 1308 does Drain and Primer Testing apply to my 70HP? And if it does, is there a better picture of what I'm looking for and does it need to be done?

Yes----It is quite common for some shops.----Often see the sign at the desk.----" we do not work on motors older than XXXX "---Simply because it has been proven that there is no money to be made from the owners of older motors.----You will argue , but shops need to generate revenue to pay wages and overhead.

I was wondering if you missed my question. The picture shows someone using alcohol in a clear tube and forcing it into the drain but it is impossible to see what they are doing.
Well at least I have another question for you. On page 4-7 in SELOC manual 1308 does, Drain and Primer Testing apply to my 70HP? And if it does, is there a better picture of what I'm looking for and does it need to be done? Or forget this one?

I was wondering if you missed my question. The picture shows someone using alcohol in a clear tube and forcing it into the drain but it is impossible to see what they are doing.
Well at least I have another question for you. On page 4-7 in SELOC manual 1308 does, Drain and Primer Testing apply to my 70HP? And if it does, is there a better picture of what I'm looking for and does it need to be done? Or forget this one?

What picture? Also, I doubt those on this forum that know anything are going to have a Seloc manual to refer to. Follow Vic's advice and get a real manual.

What picture? Also, I doubt those on this forum that know anything are going to have a Seloc manual to refer to. Follow Vic's advice and get a real manual.
I have 4 kickers, a ‘76-Evinrude 6Hp,(like new), a ‘94 Evinrude 8HP, a ‘94 Evinrude 9.9, & a ‘75 Johnson 15HP.
The Seloc manuals SUCK! BIG TIME. They list motors from xHP-xxxHP, in the same book. You have to skip through many pages to find particulars for your motor, & some small items simply are not there.
The $ you will spend on a factory manual will pay for itself the 1st time you do any maintenance.
I buy real manuals...& even then, when I want work done...I just bring my kickers to Racerone. I don’t question his fees. He knows more about these motors than just about anyone in existence. He charges very fair prices, & when I get it back, it’s done right, with factory parts.
You can wander through his boneyard, ( which contains enough motors to float an army), & talk all day. The people who 2nd guess him have no idea of what they’re missing.

Thanks for your advice! I'll try to get a proper manual. I worked on the 70HP for a while and it is running better but not so well at idle. I can use the motor and seems to run better underload. It is on 24ft pontoon.
Racerone, I'm in Wisconsin, where are you? Everyone have a great Memorial Day weekend! Get out to parade or something else to support our past warriors!

Jeff67 USMC

Thanks for your advice! I'll try to get a proper manual. I worked on the 70HP for a while and it is running better but not so well at idle. I can use the motor and seems to run better underload. It is on 24ft pontoon.
Racerone, I'm in Wisconsin, where are you? Everyone have a great Memorial Day weekend! Get out to parade or something else to support our past warriors!

Jeff67 USMC
where in WI

Do you have a boat business in Brillion? We love to take road trips. I would replace the carb if it was reasonably priced.

No, I just picked up this motor last year. I didn't know it was different until I rebuilt them. So you mean I can't bring it to you for repair? And you do not have parts. So where is the a boat and motor grave yard around us?

No, I just picked up this motor last year. I didn't know it was different until I rebuilt them. So you mean I can't bring it to you for repair? And you do not have parts. So where is the a boat and motor grave yard around us?
There is a guy in Sheboygan he advertises on craigslist for outboards he may have one. A guy Named Russ in Beaver Dam he might be able to help jhe is also on Craigslist. Green Bay Prop in Suamico may be able to help. Or there is always EBAY. I am working pretty much non stop for my regular Job right now. But first thing I would do is make sure the carbs are the same and a compression test..

Last edited:
Back