Logo

1990 70 HP Evinrude tilt/trim not working

kevyrev

I just bought a really nice used bass tracker and the seller informed me that the tilt/ trim went out 2 weeks ago. He recommended replacing the relays. The relays came today and I popped them in and they just click. I did check at the fuse box and found 1 popped fuse. Just replaced the 20-A fuse and made sure the batteries are fully charged and no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated đź‘Ź

Find connector to the tilt motor.----Use jumper wires to connect battery directly to the trim motor.----One wire from + to one wire of motor.----One wire from - to other wire.----Motor should talk to you.---This will confirm bad motor or bad wiring in the control / boat.

I confirmed that I have power at the tilt/trim switch on the motor. Red always hot, green hot when I switch down and blue is hot when I switch up. Relays are still clicking when I press the switch button. I found some scrap wire but it wasn't long enough to reach either battery. I did grab my 12v lithium battery that I use in my kayak and tested the wires that come straight from the trim motor to the first harness. I unhooked harness and jumped the battery straight to the leads of the trim motor. It didn't respond..... although this battery is a 12volt it's only a 7amp hour Lifepo4. The relays to trim motor are 20 amp I believe so I'm thinking that battery wouldn't be sufficient after all, am I right? I'm thinking I should get new wire and make longer jumpers off the marine battery.

A tried and true test for a bad motor is qiving it a few moderate whacks with a wrench, small hammer or screwdriver, while someone is activating the switch.. If it works when hit, motor needs to be replaced.. Its not a 100% kind of test of course, but it works often enough to be worthwhile.. If the motor does work when hit, I have had some luck over the years, simply spraying the motor out with some electric cleaner, brake cleaner etc. I have gotten some long life out of "bad motors" that were actually just full of carbon dust, and a cleaning brought them right back to life....

I did get a jumper wire hooked up from the battery with no response from motor. I also verified that I have 12v all the way to the motor and it's dead. I did try smacking it with a hammer, wasn't too aggressive but I was chipping paint. So it's their brushes in this motor that could be worn or dirty?

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated! I'm going to take off this motor and see if I can get it going and if not just replace it with a new one. It seems to me after looking today that I have to remove the entire unit, I was hoping to be able to just remove the motor..... am I correct? Doesn't seem like I can access the rear screw off motor unless I remove the whole unit. Again it's a 70hp Evinrude E70TLESB

Just wanted to let everyone know I was able to fix my tilt/trim issue. As I was convinced I needed a new motor as all connections had 12v so I was in the process of removing the motor and was going to check the main leads from motor and as I removed the ridiculous amount of electrical tape someone wrapped over the leads I noticed a loose connector. It was just that simple, apparently a poor crimp connection failed!

Back