Logo

1990 40hp johnson stalls at 2700 rpm

goggels

Hi all, new to this forum and got a problem I was wondering if you could help with.

I recently purchased a 1990 tracker deep v 16 with 40hp Johnson. Waited 2 months just chewwing on the bit to get it on the water and when I did it ran rough at first then took off. Had it going 30mph @ about 6000 rpm. Then took it out 2 weeks later and couldn't get it over 2700 rpm. It idles a little rough and will just quit sometimes when at idle. Runs great in the driveway with hose hooked up (other than the low idle). Runs great in neutral in the water too, but when I put a load on it (shift into gear) then it revs fine up to that 2700 rpm mark and bogs. Doesn't miss or sputter, just holds tight at those rpms. I put seafoam in it and ran it again and got same results. Now, i took off the fuel filter and tapped it on the counter and actually ended up with a pile of sediment on counter and still had a very dirty filter so I bought a new one. Haven't ran it on the water yet, just on the hose and it still wouldn't idle well. Do you guys think the fuel filter may be the cause of my loss of power? Or should I just have the carbs rebuilt?

I'm no mechanic , but it seems that if you had sediment in the filter it more than likely made it's way to the carbs. I just put a kit in mine and it's no big deal. just follow the instructions.

start with checking compression and check for spark at each cylinder. new spark plugs always a good idea.

Thanks for the replies. Just got back from the lake. It ran the same for about 100 yds or so, I backed off on it and let it run for a couple minutes in neutral at about between 3-5000 rpm. Put it back in gear and it ran the same for about 30 ft then took off. Wide open 30 mph @ 600rpm. So I ran it for about 15 minutes. Shutting it down and runiing it again for long periods of time. Problem seems to have cleared up (had a can of sea foam in the gas too). May have the carbs cleaned anyway.

Back