Logo

1989 XP100 no power

I put a xp 100 on my pontoon boat & it idles & starts right up but when you go to throttle up it will barely run. It had been sitting for 2 years & the carbs were cleaned & it has good spark on all 4 cyl. It will try to pick up & run but it just hasn,t done it yet. Also has good compression. Any ideas on what to look for? Thanks!

Were tha carbs taken apart, cleaned, and re-assembled with new parts? If so try it again and when it starts acting up pump the primer bulb. If it acts like it wants to go, rebuild the fuel pump. Also a good idea to put a new impeller in it as rubber can dry rot from sitting so long.

The carbs were rebuilt. It was a vro engine & the vro pump is still on the engine with the oil tank removed. A new water pump was also installed. It runs at a high rpm when it first starts then goes down to a decent idle. you can idle all over the place with it but just doesn't have anything at 1/2 or wot.

Also does anyone know if this engine has a stator with a high & low side? My old 70 horse had one like that & it went bad on the high side & it wouldn't run much over idle.

Back