Logo

1989 Rude 200hp STL... How many magnets should i have in my flywheel?

Dwittig33

Just bought the boat, and had to pull the flywheel to tighten down flywheel pulley. I noticed that the flywheel may have had enough extra space in it for one more magnet... like it may have been missing one? I wish I took a picture before i reinstalled. Should the magnets encircle the whole wheel? I can't remember if I counted 5, or 6 magnets in it currently... there was 3 or 4 in a row tight up against each other.. then a little space about an inch, then a solo magnet, then a space of 2 inches maybe.

I'm having starting problems where the belix on the starter releases the flywheel prematurely... the motor gives a quick pop, the belix releases, but the motor doesn't continue to fire. It seems like if the belix would hang on for a split second longer it would fire. I'm wondering if the gaps in the magnets are contributing to that. Hope this makes sense. Thanks

No magnets should butt up against each other, should be a space to install a 3/8 bolt between each. DO NOT RUN IT as magnets are loose and can shift and shatter causing injury if cowl is off or motor damage!!!! DO NOT USE IMPACT TO INSTALL OR REMOVE FLYWHEEL!!!

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did put everything back together and ran it (it actually ran great, at least the best i've been able to get it to run in the week i've owned it. had it up to 40 with lots more to go), pretty much did one hot lap around a small lake and parked it. Came inside and saw your reply, and figured i'd better pop the flywheel off again and epoxy the magnets. There were 3 loose, and it was easy to see there original position. I put the flywheel back on, torqued to 140 and launched and now i've got no power. It will start and rev up at idle, but when i hit the throttle it will either bog down or die, or stay steady but only able to reach 6 or 7 mph. On each head there's two wires going from the top to the stator.. i'm wondering how to test those? or any other ideas? Thank you.

Back