Logo

1989 Mariner 90, OC206545, No Spark

Johnnievee

Disconnected Blk/Yellow wire from switch box, still no spark. Have a Red Flywheel with black stator. Stator has 5 wires, 2 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue and 1 black.
Yellow to yellow X10 - 1 (needle did move)
Red to Blue X1k - 325
Red to Black X10 - 1000
Blue to Black X10 - Nothing
Black to Ground Nothing
Thinking stator issues.... Did Mercury change stators for that engine from black to red?

Any history on this motor?-----Charge the battery and have it load tested.----Inspect starter motor.-----No money spent so far to do simple testing.

Battery is charged. Boat and motor was bought by a friend some time ago. I have rebuilt all 3 carbs, replaced water pump, replaced sparkplugs, replaced bottom of starter motor and several other repairs. Compression on all 3 cylinders are 130 each. Motor spins good....
had it running sometime ago, would not go past 2500 RPM. Removed Oil Tank Sensor, still no real top end speed. Had to let sit for a while before starting on it again. Both throttle adjustment links had broke, just replaced those 2 items and resinc carbs. Cranked engine over to check timing adjustments, thats when I'm not getting any spark. did the checks listed above.

Don’t want to start throwing parts on …
If I wanted to start replacing everything, I would not come on the site and ask questions……
looking at if I am going the right way or need to turn around and figure something else out…..
does it sound like a bad stator? If not, I guess I’ll be replacing the switch box…

Back