Logo

1989 Mariner 9.9 Recoil Assembly

dlawless

I have a '89 9.9hp that I am attempting to revive. The first issue I have come across is that the pull cord will not retract after pulling. Started by removing cowling and attempting to remove the recoil assembly, but it seems to attached to the flywheel. I have found the service manual, but it has no instruction for removal. I have searched and searched youtube, every other engine seems to have a nut on top of the flywheel/recoil assembly that needs to be removed, this engine has a black "button" that im not sure if I am supposed to pry off? I also seached this forum for a while before giving up and starting a thread.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

What is the history on the motor ??----Submerged and never treated afterwards ?-----Some of these use a one way bearing set-up on the flywheel nut.-----That may be rusted solid/----Serial # of this motor is ?

What is the history on the motor ??----Submerged and never treated afterwards ?-----Some of these use a one way bearing set-up on the flywheel nut.-----That may be rusted solid/----Serial # of this motor is ?

It has not been submerged to my knowledge, everything looks pretty clean from poking around. It has been sitting in a storage area that is open air near the St. Johns River in Jacksonville FL, and things are known to get a bit rusty if left in there for years at a time that are not supposed to be.
The serial number is 0C116131
If anything, from what I can see of it, the recoil spring does seem to look a little dark in color, like surface rust maybe. I just cant figure out how to get into it to replace or service it.

That appears to have the recoil I described.---See if you can work the recoil sheave back and forth.-----You might have to seek help at a shop.----Good lucj with it.

That appears to have the recoil I described.---See if you can work the recoil sheave back and forth.-----You might have to seek help at a shop.----Good lucj with it.

Does this picture appear? I can move the whole recoil assembly around, but it is held to something on top of the flywheel by 3 flanges.
View%20recent%20photos.png

Back