Logo

1989 Johnson 88SPL: Dies when hot - revives when not

The engine dies without warning once it is hot enough (as another poster perfectly put it: like the key was turned off). Once cool it will start again. I have read enough posts and have enlisted the help of an online marine mechanic. All point to either the stator or the powerpack. Once it dies, I touch both of them (well, the flywheel which covers the stator), and the stator/flywheel seems to be much hotter (though not abnormally hot IMO) than the powerpack (which is in close proximity to the engine block but is basically only touching it in three places: at the three bolts). Here is my question: anyone have an opinion on which of these 25 year old parts is more likely to fail when hot? I hope it would be the powerpack as I have the tools and talent to swap it out. I would need to acquire a 1-5/16 socket, a flywheel puller and a touch of dumb luck to tackle the stator (though any encouragement on this from the forum would be most appreciated).

I eventually decided to replace both the powerpack and the stator to guaranty success and this did the trick. Engine only died once today and after cursing everything around me I realized that I had run out of gas (so switched to the other tank)

Back