Logo

1989 Johnson 48hp NOT TURNING OFF

trettig

Hi All,

Quick introduction - I live in CT and go boating on Long Island Sound and Lake George NY. I have always had Johnson outboards my whole life (45 years) 8hp, 150hp, 15hp, 6hp, and now 48hp.

My Question - I can't figure out why my 1989 Johnson 48hp is not turning off.
It starts great and runs very good. Only it doesn't turn off when the switch is off and/or the kill switch pulled. I have replaced the ignition switch and tested the kill switch to see if it is working, which it is. I have also hooked up another set of working Johnson controllers and still the motor won't shut off! I found no loose connections for either the Stop/Kill Circuit and grounds.

An OLM test shows that there is a connection from the key switch to the Stop circuit plug found in the electrical connection bracket. I tried grounding the black/yellow wire on the wire harness side of the stop circuit (Rubber connection) without the motor shutting off.

I electrical greased the large red electrical connection to make a better connection.

I am at a loss for why the motor still won't shut off. PLEASE SHARE THOUGHTS HOW TO FIX!!!!

The problem turned out to be a bad connection in the rubber boot connector of the stop circuit. The wire was pulled out slightly enough to break the connection inside the rubber boot. I found it by pricking the wire with a pin, toward the power pack side of the rubber boot connection, and grounding out the motor. It only took about 8 hours of problem solving and about 50$ in parts which I didn’t need. I learned a lot though!

Back