Logo

1989 johnson 40hp

Azza89

Hi I have just bought a 16ft quintrex with a 1989 40hp johnson vro the rvo has been dissconected and I just mix my fuel 50:1 it did sit for nearly a year but she starts fine and runs good but after been out on the water for about 45min to an hour if I turn it off it wont start agian till I have it out of the water and back home and I just cant figure it out can anyone help thankyou

Yeah the starter motor works it has has spark and fuel but wen it warms up it wont start till I get it out of the water and let it cool

Have you determined that you still have spark when it refuses to restart right after a hot stop ? Very important to find that out. VERY important. Carry a spare sparkplug on the test ride.
Hot stop. Crank with not firings. Pull a plug cap off & put it on the spare plug. Wear a THICK winterglove. Have a excellent BARE METAL spot to press the test plug against. Another person then turns the key. Block out sunlight with a dark cloth to see the thin blue white arcing. Good arcs ? I do not think so. Check ALL the plugs with the Test plug. Same amount of time.

If no spark. Bingo what stuff to check & replace.

Get lucky.
I believe it is a electrical part failing when hot.

Hi al thatnks alot for the help and it is that wen it gets hot it wont start cause it does loose spark but wen it cools down it will spark again does anyone know wat kind of electrical fault this could be thank you

I / we need to have a electrical drawing of the ignition system to test the parts somehow before buying stuff needlessly.

Asearch at the top of the page using your motor designation will get you into the ignition parts page. When you get to the parts page. Go to the very last item on the bottom. about $ 137 for a complete system parts.........CLICK on the small ....TECH INFO box. It takes you to a bunch of tests........CAUTION ....I am not sure if those tests will work on your parts.

Back