Logo

1989 Johnson 25hp help question

DeluxeRapala

Hay y’all on here noobie here,
just picked up this 89 Johnson 25hp outboard
electric start and remote steering long shaft for $300
120 psi on both cylinders and runs dumping some fuel down the carb.
so here’s the thing,
everything I’ve read so far states the engine should have been sold with a primer enicherner and not a physical choke valve and solenoid.
well it has both???
so the choke assembly works minus the solenoid no click with the key or when I put power to the solenoid
but it also has the auto enricherner, wires are not hooked up but the gas lines are.
pictures that I’ve seen of 89s don’t have a choke just the auto primer
what is the correct set up? Doesn’t appear to have room for both I am assuming someone put a older carb with choke on it , and I just need to replace the auto choke plunger solenoid

Hi, welcome. Ya gotta reduce picture to under 1000k. Does the choke operate when you push the key in when it's in the run or cranking position?

The electric primer valve is a better option.----Just put wire from choke plunger to it and see if it works.----Push key in while cranking to see if primer valve is hooked up and working.

The electric primer valve is a better option.----Just put wire from choke plunger to it and see if it works.----Push key in while cranking to see if primer valve is hooked up and working.

no the choke assembly does not close with the push in/ turn of the key, I still need to probe around it to see if the solenoid has power

and the auto enrichemer wires are disconnected, but do work when Applied 12v but it doesn’t appear to belong in there with a physical choke, ( the gas lines are connected to it )

and for pictures,
i am on a iPhone, I’m going to the little picture icon, selecting from my camera roll, choose a file ( 934kb) than I click choose, it than closes the picture

Are you sure the carb is the same yr as the powerhead? An older carb will have a choke on it.

After closer inspection it appears to have ( just by looking at pictures of omc 35s ) a 80/81 35hp carb
It has the little back up manual level that closes the choke
that’s underneath the hood not like the 70s models where they have a pull out choke out side of the hood

the only sometimes closes when the key is pressed/ while cranking
it also cranks and has spark when the red safety kill switch is disconnected but that’s something for later

edit again, with a test light on engine ground and on the stud for the choke lever actuator, my light isn’t always turning on so I have a key switch that’s going bad, or a wire or the plunger actuator it self is dying ( most likely)

hooked it up on my hose from my 88spl it ran, after it ran for 30 seconds it fired back up instantly but didn’t want to idle by its self so a carb cleaning will be needed and

Last edited:
Yes....might be carb. Could be spark too. Check to see that you have a good strong 7/16" lightning like crackle. Be sure to crank with a fully charged battery and both spark plugs out then create a gap tester which could be as simple as a number two Phillips screwdriver pushed into the plug wire boot then held about 1/2 in from a head bolt or other good ground. Make sure that your fuel supply is disconnected and you are in a well ventilated area.....we don't want to ignite any fumes.

Last edited:
Back