Logo

1989 Johnson 200HP

pjdk

Can not get spark on one cylinder. Replaced plugs, wires and coil pack still no spark... any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Pull the top org/bl coil primary and swap it to bottom coil...if it fires coil is good. The check timer base by swapping inputs from it to pack, it problem goes to other side timer base bad.

I have used this method many times if it sparks on the opposite bank after changing the firing order and the problem is still on the same cylinder then change the power pack providing you have confirmed its not the ignition coil.

Last edited:
I have used this method many times if it sparks on the opposite bank after changing the firing order and the problem is still on the same cylinder then change the power pack providing you have confirmed its not the ignition coil.

All six coils, plug wires and plugs have been replaced. Swapping the input/output from the stator/timer base makes no difference.... cylinder #6 still not getting spark.

Sometimes it's just that one of the pin/socket connectors within those rubber connectors... the action of pulling apart and pushing together results in either the pin or the socket backing out just enough to make a poor connection between the timer base and the powerpack or between the pack and the coils.

Also, I've come across a few cases where the wire actually broke free of the pin/socket and was held in the rubber connection by pure friction.... perhaps not your problem but something worth looking at.

Sometimes it's just that one of the pin/socket connectors within those rubber connectors... the action of pulling apart and pushing together results in either the pin or the socket backing out just enough to make a poor connection between the timer base and the powerpack or between the pack and the coils.

Also, I've come across a few cases where the wire actually broke free of the pin/socket and was held in the rubber connection by pure friction.... perhaps not your problem but something worth looking at.

It appears that all pins/wires are connected properly.

It appears that all pins/wires are connected properly.

Recap of my problem. Started off with #6 cylinder not getting spark. Changed out ALL 6 COILS, WIRES AND PLUGS. No change. Checked all connectors to ensure they were tight. No change. Replaced the POWER PACK ... now various cylinders have no spark or spark is intermittent.

Really getting disgusted chasing my tail. At this point I am totally lost.

I would have the battery load tested.-----I would take the starter apart for inspection.-----Look at the flywheel magnets.-----Note these are easy steps and cost very little coins to do !

I would have the battery load tested.-----I would take the starter apart for inspection.-----Look at the flywheel magnets.-----Note these are easy steps and cost very little coins to do !

Batteries (2) are brand new marine batteries, flywheel, starter, selenoid, stator, timer base all new as well.

That is a lot of coins to throw at a problem.---Do not throw any of the parts out either.----You did check battery cables ?------It is often the simple things that are overlooked.-----Perhaps consult with your local repair shop..-----Good luck with it.

You likely had inflicted damage to the new pack before you replaced ALL the other stuff (all parts are new,right?). We need to run a complete diagnostics to prove my theory.....if correct. You only need a multimeter with DVA capability......a "drop in the bucket" compared to what you have likely spent...... we have to really get the diagnostics done. If I have the money and its my personal motor......everything gets replaced together. Where I go in remote Ontario Canada, I dead outboard can cost lives.

All those new parts... and no spark?.... I've lost track...

If you have NOT removed the Black/Yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch yet, Do So then check for spark. A simple easy test to check the ignition switch for a short between the "M" terminals.

If you have spark with that wire removed but no spark with it connected, replace the ignition switch.

That was the problem.... pins bent etc.... removed the round connector and used waterproof spade connectors..... all 6 cylons now firing. Motor running great, trying to figure out now why it is not peeing.
New water pump housing, impeller, thermostats and diaphrams.

Your reply #13 to my suggestion "12 whereas you state "It appears that all pins/wires are connected properly".

Appearances are deceiving, are they not? Next time, take the connector apart and actually look at them.

Your original post said no spark on only 1 cylinder? So how could that have been a shorted pin for kill switch? Must have bent the pin later?

Last edited:
Back