Logo

1989 Johnson 200 TE200TXCEA

Jim Rac

I have a johnson 200 1989. Since i started working on it i have replaced the starter motor, starter solenoid, ignition switch, spark plugs and power pack. I replaced the starter motor starter solenoid and ignition switch before i put it in the water this season had her running perfect no issues at all, about a month after i noticed it was getting slightly harder to get her started but no other issues until one day she started shaking at higher rpm got her to run good and the shaking to go away for the rest of the trip so i assumed maybe it was a fluke thing or whatever it was it was gone. Next time i went to use the boat couldn’t get her started, first thing i did was check for spark found i had no power to the plugs, checked the coils no power to those either. Opened up where the power pack was mounted on top of the rectifier and found that the power pack was getting between 2-3 volts sent to the wires that attach through the power pack and the plugs(i’m not sure the proper voltage that is supposed to be being sent to the power pack) after i realized that the stator was sending voltage to the power pack i changed the power pack. Still no spark if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated i am stumped and don’t know if i should just replace the stator and timer base next or if there is more i could test before i go through the process of changing everything.

Back