Logo

1989 Johnson 120 HP Do I have a VRO problem

deano

" Maybe I should give more inf

" Maybe I should give more information on my problem. I have a 1989 Johnson that I have owned from brand new. Last summer I started to notice that it was using more oil than normal. When I Troll for Muskies with the wind at my back the blue smoke is so thick that it would choke a moose. What I would like to know is, when a VRO unit is on its way out do they use more oil,thus protecting the motor from burn out or could there be an other reason for all the blue smoke. "

"Deano.... It's always pos

"Deano.... It's always possible that the VRO could fail, but before you replace that $200 bit of plastic, check to see if you have a anti siphon valve where the fuel hose connects to the top of the built in tank (I'm assuming you have a built in tank).

That valve fitting would be approximately 2" long, aluminum, and the inner contents of that fitting would be a Check Ball, Spring, and a Ball Seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner parts which converts it to a straight through fitting, then reinstall it.

Those anti siphon valves are notorious for sticking, and when they stick, they create a fuel restriction. The VRO can't draw the proper amount of fuel.... but does continue to draw oil which eventually creates a improper mix loaded with oil. The V/6 engines have an alarm to warn of a fuel restriction, but the V/4 engine does not.

If you do not have a anti siphon valve on your rig, check thoroughly for other imperfections that could result in a fuel restriction. I wish you luck.

Joe
"

Back