Logo

1989 J25RLCEM - won't idle w/o help. New to me.

Lexefx

90 & 95 psi, but the gage is an old press in style.

Rebuilt fuel pump, replaced the fuel line, bulb & female fittings.

Fresh 87 octane, Johnson 2 cycle oil, marine stabil. Tried 2 different tanks also.

Suggestions?

Did both gaskets. Now I have 70 & 75 psi. The bores looked shiney and even colored, no obvious marks. Piston tops were dark. While in the middle of the stroke I grabbed the piston tops, they moved more side to side than I'd expected.

Engine runs better with choke on. With the choke off I seem to be loosing fuel delivery. The primer bulb takes 1-2 full squeezes once it dies. While holding a low-mid range rpm, the engine will start to sound weaker, and I have to use more throttle to keep it running and it eventually dies.

I'm afraid this motor may be toasted, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you!

Well-----70 / 75 PSI and bores looked shiny ??----Any pictures ?-----Those compression values if correct would mean motor comes apart here.

I did not take any pics. I was in a hurry to reassemble, as I didn't have in/lb torque wrench. I had to borrow one. It had only been run maybe 10 minutes. Is it worth pulling the head again for pics?

When you say take apart the motor, what are you inferring should be looked at next. How involved and costly would you estimate?

Thanks for your help Racerone!

On my good gauge compression would be much, much higher on a good motor-------But test run this motor and hope for the best.----In my " humble " opinion this motor is done and needs a rebuild.

Racerone,

I had this little one out on the lake. After warmup it was able to hold idle, and ran great until about 10 minutes in. I was getting this 2 seconds of power, then it would die for 1-1.5 seconds. Then power up for 2 more seconds then die. It would only die at 50% throttle. I was able to bring it in under 30% throttle without dying. The herky jerk was almost enough to toss my son out of his bow seat. I'd have thought a coil pack, but it seems like it dies for more than a few cycles. Primer bulb was firm, tank vent was open, I even pulled the cap to make sure.. primer circuit as well always seemed full of fuel. And ideas for me?

I'm game for that. Just not sure where to start. I've done what I know how to do. Get fuel and get everything clean, confirm spark. I'm still waiting on my manual. Just looking for direction.

Back