Logo

1989 force outboard lower unit leak

lgaytan

Hello,
So I have a leak on the lower unit, I removed lower unit and inspected it, I found the seal from the gear shifter is broken in two parts, I don't see any evidence of oil in the prop shaft or the gear shaft so I belive all the issues are around this shift shaft. Issue now I can't find the replacement, does anybody knows where I can find it? F694618 is the part number.

Thanks

Well so I applied Flex glue in the bellow and seems to be working, it says it works with rubber and in water, so I hope it doesn't create any problem later, it is flexible so it allows the rod movement to engage the gears. I Pressure tested to 10 PSI and it holds them all night long.
One thing I noticed is that on the drive shaft I can rotate it with out any leak but if I apply any force to the sides I can hear it leaking, so I'm not sure if I should replace the seals of that shaft or just leave it like that?

Regards

Attachments

• 272db09f-b6ee-4306-9fcf-e20e39ba1e08.JPG
    272db09f-b6ee-4306-9fcf-e20e39ba1e08.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 48611296-5f42-4318-a7f2-9e5afa48f21b.JPG
    48611296-5f42-4318-a7f2-9e5afa48f21b.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 9
IF??? you can make it leak??? then it's gonna leak on it's own, soon.
Replace it.

You got extremely lucky when you got the shift shaft bellows to seal. YEA!!!

Hi Jerry, Seals are on their way I will change them in a couple weeks, I'm in Mexico so getting any spare part always takes for ever.

Small amount of oil is coming out of weep hole in lower section of the Driveshaft Housing but only when I lift and tilt engine for traveling. Any ideas before I get into it? Thanks.

That repair on the bellows probably stopped working??(maybe)
Not sure but Franz Marine might have a kit that takes the place of the rubber bellows.
If you suspect a leak?? then a pressure test is in order.

Back