Logo

1989 Evinrude E88MSLCER 88SPL Idle Problem

drobertsobx

Hi all,
I just purchased a used boat, it came with a 1989 Evinrude E88MSLCER 88SPL.
I spent today going through everything with my very limited knowledge.

Had no spark.
The kill switch was bad, so disconnected the KS connection at the power pack
Great spark now, ordered new ignition and kill switches (They are separate on the dash).

I was told everything had been cleaned and winterized correctly
I pulled the top carb and removed the bowl, everything was spotless , clean and dry.

Fuel hoses were replaced with a direct replacement with new bulb.
Pumps up solid.

So decided to prime the system and try for a start.

Prime dribbler is working on push key.

The motor fires instantly causing the starter to disengage and quits literally just as fast.

I was able to keep the motor running for a couple minutes by bumping the dribbler with the key, but it will not idle.

I saw elsewhere in a forum that the idle speed is set with the Idle timing screw on the timing lever...

I noticed the Lower "Idle" screw (guessing it's the stop for entering neutral from gear???) is not touching the screw block and seems to walk away from the block when it runs.
I push it in tight, it is always 1/4" away when I check it.
As both screws seem to have an affect on the timing lever it's just doesn't seem right to me.

The lever moves freely, is it maybe missing a spring? or do I need to bark up another tree?

Thanks in advance

Don

20230522_200736.jpg

20230522_200921.jpg

See the roller inside that semi circle slot .----Looks like It is missing a sleeve.------But before you spend any beer tokens on this motor do a compression test.----Post the numbers here.----Further help to follow once those numbers are posted.----And the " dribbler " is the electric primer valve!!

Thanks for the info, that makes sense about the sleeve.
I will do a compression test tomorrow and post the results.

Kind of think I like "dribbler" better :)

Key is to be pushed in and held in while cranking it over for cold start.----It is a valve that opens .---It is not a pump!

OK, thanks for the info, will use that approach when I get the new ignition switch.
It sticks when I press in currently and keeps winding the starter.

Back