Logo

1989 Evinrude 90 hp starting issues

rjm101

Hi All, I am new to the forum and need some advice (several questions so bear with me). I just purchased a 1989 Proline 17 cc with a 90 Evinrude. Had some problems getting gas from the inbaord tank (clogged anti syphon) anyway I was able to start the motor with an external tank and based on my limited knowledge I decided it would be best to run the carbs out of gas for the winter(I know that was not a good thing now) I fixed the gas line issue and primed the engine with the gas that was in the tank (year old gas I was told). Tried to start but could not get it to... So I figure the gas might be bad... Tried the external tank but still could not start it. In the process of doing this I always had to use 2 batteries in parrallel to get the engine to crank...and now the engine will barely crank so I belive I need a starter motor/solenoid. Thoughts on this? Also price of parts vary widely for what seems to be the right starter and solenoid. Does it make a difference if I go with the $90 starter or the ones costing upwards of $180? Also, is there a way to drain the carburator bowls without taking the carbs out as I believe that the gas in them is bad. I also noticed that the fusible link wire that attaches to the battery ( I believe to be part of the ignition wiring) is badly corroded and over heated (it was that way when I got the boat) Can I just buy one at a marina service center or can I get this on line some where (the wire nuts were sealed with silicon. Is there a special silicon for this purpose?). One more thing, I noticed that the steering wont turn the motor, Is there a way to adjust or free this up easily?
Thanks for any help and tips you can provide.

You should always run fuel out of the carburetors for storage , say over the winter.-------------------These motors will not fire with a slow cranking starter motor.---------------------But before you spend a penny on this motor you should do a compression test on it !------Even if you have to pull it over with a rope to test it !-------------These motors have a history of breaking the piston rings.

They are around $ 40.00 or can be rented at many automotive parts stores.---------------I have about 10 of these engines apart at the moment for rebuild , all because of lots of hrs and broken piston rings !!

dont mean to interfere racer but i want to question the guy about the 2 battery deal....one good battery is all you need to turn that motor.....batteries in parallel will still put out 12 volts and if one of them is weak then its sucking current out of the other.....try one good battery and make sure with a meter that you dont have a voltage drop in the circuit to the starter post...also make sure that the ground is not corroded...do not put 2 batteries in series on that starter....you then have a 24 volt output...if you truly need a starter then 100 bucks is a fair price...if it was me i would get the motor turning first to check compression....you can turn it by hand and make sure its not bound up first.....Racer is correct on checking compression....either do it by hand or get the starter working and do that first...you may have a motor that you dont want to fix.....i just got rid of a 94 90hp for that reason...

THanks papyson and racerone, I will check the compression first. Have a friend with a tester. As for the batteries, they were both good and fully charged. I think the motor is just tired. As for the fuel issue, any way to drain the carb bowls without disassembly?

Carburetors are easy to drain , there is a screw / plug on the side of the float bowl.-----You just need to remove one on each carburetor.---- Not many folks sell a good running V-4 ---V-6 crossflow.--------------There is usually a good reason to decide -----------" time to sell it "

Last edited:
amen....an estate sale maybe but still give it the joe reeves checkout.....that checkout is in the archives somewhere...another trick on carbs on that motor is to trim the motor up til just enough of the lower unit is in the water to get coolant flow.....if you got water etc in the bowl then it will run to get you in....run good actually....

Thanks Racerone. The boat was my cousin's and was running a year ago. He just doesn't have time anymore to use it and keep it up. The only issues he was having was the inboard gas tank gas flow problem.... All of the rest are ones that I found or manifested while trying to get it running but should have been taken care of anyway. The engine was running good till he put it away a year ago.

back to that starter bit.....remove the plugs.....take a jumper cable and go from the positive post on the battery to the positive post on the starter.....make sure the key is turn off to isolate as much circuitry as possibe..little over kill there but i would do it...if the motor turns ok then you have a wiring problem....the first place i would look is the wires going into the connectors to the battery....they will crystallize for lack of a better word....they will be stiff and look contaminated with probably a touch of green.....if you were using a voltmeter you could see the voltage drop measuring between the starter and the battery.....this use of a meter is actually the best way to really know where the problem is....

Sorry bout not mentioning the history but I was not questioning state of the motor just the starting issues and did not think it was importent.
I did isolate the wiring and went straight to the starter with jumper cables from the battery and I get the same result, barely cranks. Also, when I was able to crank the motor using 2 batteries in parrallel through the ignition I did get some smoke at the solenoid (or near it) after it cranked a while. Also, if I take the plugs out and connect the battery it cranks fine... but with no compression I would expect it to, this is true whether I go direct to the starter or through the ignition with the battery. I think I have put the starter through the last of it's useful life...

As for checking compression , no the engine will not crank with the plugs in. And yes, the batteries were definately in parrallel. I just think the starter was drawing too much current with one battery so when I added the 2nd it provided enough CCAs to get the motor going. In doing all of this the starter now will not crank even with 2 batteries ( it tries and will turn the crank, but very slowly).

Over many years of HELPING folks with their motors it has been proven beyond any doubt that sometimes the new owner-------------------------- " bought someone else's problems "

Thanks For all the help. As for the compression I cant crank the engine due to the bad starter. I will hopefully get to work on the engine next week. Any thought on what to do with 30 gal of old gas?

Back