Logo

1989 Evinrude 88 SPL - 2 stroke Dies when hot

Sharky300

Good Afternoon! Hoping to get my best starting point to see if I can figure out what is happening.

Boat started getting harder to start through last season... but always did... I was cruising across the lake full throttle, and it cut off. no hint of issue, no sputter, just wide open too nothing... in the snap of a finger. After it died, it would spin over... but no hit. After I let it cool for a while, it would spit and sputter, might fire up and idle for a minute, then die. Got towed back to the doc, messed with it some more, same spitting and sputtering. left it alone for the night, went back out next morning... Fired up like a champ... Ran it for about 10 minutes, and was running fine... to the point, I pulled it off the dock I was on, and pulled over to a dock closer to our camp site. Pulled up, parked it... shut it off - and it did not start again! did not try too much longer, just drug it over to the ramp and pulled it out... Just getting motivated to get back at it, and see if I can get it going for the summer.... any thoughts on where to start?

FWIW - Beginning of last season - new spark plugs, and rebuilt foot were put on the engine... if that could be any thing to start with?

Thanks for any ideas -

Jason

Just finished a 90 HP ( same as an 88 special ) powerhead.----Owner said ---" hard to start "----Brokens piston rings on 3 of 4 pistons.-----Post your compression numbers here.

Thanks All! Got home last night, got the foot filled up... Starter not working - It was acting up last year too... Got one on the way, will get all the numbers when I get it going this weekend -

Back