Logo

1989 Evinrude 70HP VRO Start-up issues

petkovski

Hi everyone. Haven't posted here since 2016 when I had some water in my fuel, but since we managed to solve that problem the engine was running great without any issues.

However, this summer this is not the case as I am unable to start the engine at all. Let me explain.

I dropped in a brand new battery, new spark plugs and a new fuel filter. Flushed the carbs just in case there was stale fuel inside. Filled the tank with petrol which previously had a few liters with fuel stabilizer in it, and additionally added 1/4 bottle of carb/injector cleaner. Added some fresh oil in the oil tank.

First start-up procedure was always the same - turn the solenoid valve, pump fuel with the bulb, turn the solenoid valve again. Ignition on, press 3 times on the key and try to start-up.

However, this time this was not the case, even after 1 hour of trying to start-up the engine. It would just barely work for 3-4 seconds on very low idle and will bog down. I tried over and over again and had no luck. I think that probably it is not getting proper fuel flow somehow?

We've checked the compression and it was excellent. Should I disassemble the carbs to see for any issues or maybe the VRO pump failed? Except these 2 things I am not sure what else the issue could be.

Let me know your suggestion in the comments.

Thanks.

Update: The VRO pump seems to be fine, it is squirting fuel in the carbs. So that leaves me with a possible carb issue? Perhaps I should do a rebuild?

Hey everyone. I decided to disassemble the carbs and see the situation inside. As you can see, the nozzles, especially on carb 1 and 3 were clogged entirely. I used brake cleaner to make them shine again. I've put everything back together and in a few hours I am testing again. Hopefully this time it's going to start and drive smoothly :)

0-02-05-58f01bf6197db3c234b9238593506ea0b59fcff681e0df13b119b57acf717dcd_4f90ee77d779a585.jpg0-02-0a-9b17f3148cb4f8fc2c9915f8a26bf50d8c4331271211c3bd3ec49583421e12e5_fc2f0719f6f2421.jpg

How did the high speed jets look?-----The ones in the bottom of the float bowl?

1 and 3 were clogged. I sprayed some brake cleaner and it didn't go through, so I used a guitar E string to grind the debris from the bottom, then used a cotton ear swab to make it shine :)

I don't have photos since it's really hard to take a good photo from there.

Oh, and btw, I did not use a carb rebuild kit. I reused the same gaskets and only applied a small layer of silicone gasket sealer. The carbs were not opened or cleaned since this engine exited the factory and it has hundreds of hours of running time :)

Gaskets are not to be treated with silicone products !!----So the nozzle were plugged and the orifice plugs in the bowls were plugged.----Strange that #2 was ok on these carburetors.

Thank you for the tip, I just read that this is definitely not recommended. I will not touch anything this season but I am definitely ordering carb rebuild kits and will replace everything before start of next summer.

Here's the beauty, with a custom paint job and decals :)

211113521_1124476774714789_6237832865459712022_n.jpg

Back