Logo

1989 Evinrude 70hp problem today

joho5

"Backed it down the ramp like

"Backed it down the ramp like I normally do...primed it, lowered motor down into water, tried to start.

It normally starts and sputters with the warmup lever, then starts next hit on the key.

It cranked and cranked, then all of a sudden I thought I heard a pop, not sure, but then nothing.

I then didnt have power to my tilt and trim and ignition. They both are on the starting battery...I then switched batteries making sure it wasnt a bad battery and same thing.

When the hood is off I can hear the relays click, but most of the time I turn the key...nothing.

What could have popped or went wrong to cause this? When I turn the key 1 notch my ignition control box still beeps, its something in the motor wiring.

also, is the starter gear supposed to be up? In contact with the flywheel to start? Mine is up, touching the flywheel right now.

can you guys think of anything I might can check or see if its bad?

thanks"

"nevermind, it was a corroded

"nevermind, it was a corroded ground bolt on the block. Sanded it down to bare metal, cleaned the metal with carb cleaner, hooked the ground leads back to it and tightened it down and worked fine."

Back